Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Apple Project

by Katie Cano

I wrote a couple blogs early titled “Light in a Dark Cave”. I have updated everyone in a while with what is going on with that project, but it now has a name and it’s ready to launch. The Apple Project will be allowing Susquehanna Hall’s residents to impact students of the Regional Institute for Children and Adolescents (RICA) in just a few short weeks.
Although I’ve been in charge of the committee for UMBC students going to RICA onApril 25th and helping the RICA students with preparing for college, I am really proud of the other committees.
We don’t have a huge group planning this project, and the other two committees–Marketing/Education and a committee for RICA students coming to UMBC for a day–have worked so hard to assure that this project comes to fruition.
The Marketing/Education committee has made an adorable video based on Frozen’s, “Do You Want to Build a Snowman” to advertise for the event.They are taking care of all the educational posters and ads that will go around SUS. They’re also taking care of all the sign-ups for the event. Basically, the Marketing/Education committee is ensuring that SUS residents will actually participate in this project.
The other committee, for RICA students coming to UMBC, has an amazing day for RICA students. They’ve planned an interaction scavenger hunt and tour, a mock lecture with an awesome professor, and an activities fair.
I’m a shameless plugger for RICA and I know in part that’s why we’re doing this project. But despite all my blathering on about this Level 5 Special Education school that I love, this project would never have been able to happen without all the hard work of the SUS staff.
I know that I’m sometimes a very bossy, loud, and I stick my nose in other peoples’ committees constantly, I could not be more proud of the SUS staff. I know that when we finish the project we’ll all have affected the kids at RICA and allow them to change us as well. I couldn’t ask to work with a better bunch of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment