Sunday, March 30, 2014

My Journey to Higher Education

I was born and raised in an Army family all the way--my parents met in the Army, and both of my older siblings joined the military right out of high school. For me, life after high school meant choosing between two options. I could choose to follow my family's path and join the military, or I could choose to take a step of faith and try out college life. I honestly don't think that I ever really considered joining the military; college seemed like the only real option that I had for my next step in life--so I took the plunge into the unknown.

Neither of my parents ever attended a University, although my Dad did take some community college courses when I was just starting high school. My Mom and Dad were both clueless to how the college process really worked--when to get applications in, how to apply for loans, what scholarships to apply for....all of these details were lost on them. My guidance counselor at school was completely useless. I can't think of a single piece of information that was given to me about the application process or any financial advice at all.

The lack of information that I had leading up to my application process is definitely something that I think should change, though I know that this is not the case for every student! By going out to RICA, we will be able to provide students with a basic knowledge of what it means to be a college student and what college life actually looks like.

I'm excited to be able talk to the students about what college life is like and to answer with firsthand experience what the application process looks like for students!

No comments:

Post a Comment